Lifelong resident and longtime school teacher Ruth Clark’s obituary.
Ruth Eileen Clark, age 89, of Haysville, loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, and retired teacher at Haysville USD 261, went to be with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Thursday, October 20, 2016. No visitation. Memorial service 10AM Tuesday, October 25, Haysville United Methodist Church, 601 E. Grand. Ruth was a lifetime resident of Haysville and life member of Haysville United Methodist Church. She was valedictorian at East High School and graduated from Friends University. Ruth was a devoted educator, teaching kindergarten and library classes in the Haysville community for over 30 years. Ruth Clark Elementary School was named after her in 2000. She enjoyed vacationing in Colorado, traveling, china painting, reading, writing poetry and spending time with her children and grandchildren. She co-authored a book about the history of Haysville entitled “In Days Gone By”. Ruth is preceded in death by her husband, Robert; parents, Fred & Mabel Stearns; daughter, Jill Sims; and her brother, Wayne Stearns. Survivors include her sons, Mark Clark (Stacy), of Sterling, and Bret Clark (Ronda), of Haysville; daughter, Jane Moon (Howard), of The Villages, FL; sister, Betty Jane Turkle, of Haysville; brother-in-law, Reagan Houston, of Hendersonville, SC grandchildren, Chad Moon (Tara), Chris Moon (Mary), Lindsay Quinton (Mat), Megan Giorgetti (Andy), Erin Cureton (Luke), Ryan Clark (Shaylee), Travis Sims, Tyler Sims, Tara Sims, Cooper Clark (Kerry) and Bailey Clark: 13 great-grandchildren.
From Wichita eagle., November 23, 1889
Undertaker Kendle reports the death of Mr. John McGinnis of Haysville, of paralysis.
Haysville Area Marriage Licenses Granted…
From The Wichita daily eagle., August 09, 1893.
Enon Fergeson – Cora Dunkin both of Haysville.
The Wichita daily eagle., August 23, 1893
Isaac C Patton – Mary C Crist both of Haysville.
The Wichita daily eagle., June 23, 1901
John W Grinstead of Wichita – Miss Mattie Valentine of Haysville.
Haysville’s 2nd water tower was located on the south/east corner of Grand and Turkle. 2 old elevators can be seen in the background.
Picture and caption from an old Haysville Newspaper.
Caption: “NEW TOWN BORDERS ON OLD… Across the tracks from two old grain elevators stands Haysville’s new water tower, built as part of a $460,000 project which provided modern city services and made growth possible. At right and to the left of the elevator are some of many new houses which border the old town.”
1981 newspaper article. Haysville Community Building at 110 S Main was built around 1920. The picture was taken before the building was razed in 1981.
A newspaper clipping from the Wichita Eagle. Balloon over the Allred barn south of Haysville on 79th street west of Broadway. The photo is by Anthony Reed. Date unknown.
Unknown (1956?)newspaper article about Haysville’s growth. Headline reads “Haysville Growth Increased 40-Fold In 6 Years”. Photo was taken from the Southwest looking towards Northeast.
John Ward built Haysville’s blacksmith shop in 1914. The shop flourished until the early 1940s when World War II broke out.
First Fall Festival was held in October 1985. Below is an article from the 10-13-06 Haysville Times.